A method for stripping diacritical markings from Russian text.
Hexo, the static blogging system that I use is very extensible and provides numerous hooks into generation pipeline. While working on a Russian language blog that’s coming online soon, I had the opportunity to write a filter to render Cyrillic text in a different font than the rest of the body text. Markup filter use case I wanted to set the Cyrillic text apart both in color, typeface, and font weight.
In my never-ending journey to find the optimal blogging platform, I wandered into the hexo camp. Among its many attributes is speed. Compared to Octopress, site generation is very fast. However, deployment has been tricky. Since I host my blogs from an Amazon S3 bucket, I tried to use the aws deployer commonly used with hexo; but I could never get it to install properly on OS X 10.11. So I wrote my own deployer that essentially just runs an AppleScript that handles the synchronization task.